Monday, September 29, 2008

Good News!

Well, we found out today that my hCG level is a positive indication for pregnancy! I say it like that, instead of saying that we're pregnant, because we won't be positive about the pregnancy until Wednesday. But, we are excited and celebrating the fact that we have such a wonderful indication this early on!

This morning while having my blood draw I asked the nurse what exactly we were looking for in this test. I told her I knew the hCG level should be above 5 to be an indicator of pregnancy, but she told me they had never really seen a successful pregnancy if the level isn't about 12-14 at least. She said it would be better to be 30 or 60, or even 100, because then we could have a very positive feeling about pregnancy. She said she would send the blood test out and get the results rushed so we could know as quickly as possible.

We were to expect her call between 10:00 and 10:30. So, Randy and I decided to meet for a cup of coffee (decaf for me!) and wait. Tammy called at 10:15...right on time! The first thing she said was, "Cory, you're pregnant." I just about fell out of my chair! She said I had an hCG level of 234! That's excellent news, because she said that a higher number like that is definitely a strong indicator. However, we do still have to go back on Wednesday to have another blood draw and make sure that number doubles to 470 or so before we can say we are pregnant for sure.

Randy and I are still in shock. We both kind of looked at each other and said, "Okay, what now?" It's crazy because every step of the way there seems to have been some sort of obstacle to overcome and we just didn't expect this part to have been so easy. I was thinking last night, as I laid awake for hours, that we are so blessed. I couldn't imagine being lucky enough to have this blessing bestowed upon us so simply. It just seemed like we needed to work a little harder than we have for it. I'm still processing the fact that on June 6, 2009, we may have a little addition to our James Family. Wow.

After Wednesday, if the blood test shows a positive result, we will go back on Friday for another one. Then, we will have our first ultrasound on Friday, 10/10. Tammy said that the first US is pretty anti-climactic because all it shows is the position of the developing fetus. They need to make sure that it's not an ectopic pregnancy or anything like that. Although it's unlikely, that's still a very small possibility. But, when we have our second US on 10/17, we will be able to see a heartbeat. Or, according to my mom, heartbeatS! At that time, when we can see heartbeats, we will know if one or both of our embryos made it. Even though I've wanted this for a long time, I realized that I'm not sure I even know what to do with a baby. How will know how to take care of one baby, much less two? But, bring it on! If it's one, that's great, but if it's two then we don't have to worry about anything else because our family can be complete. I know that the good Lord will not cast burdens upon me that I cannot bear!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!! Call me asap.

Jen said...

Oh Cory! I'm so very happy for y'all. Will continue praying for good news and a good pregnancy.

Lisa said...

So excited to be celebrating this milestone with you both! Continue to enjoy each day, and update us with more information on Wednesday!