Friday, September 19, 2008

Our Embryo Transfer

Today we had our embryo transfer! I'm really excited and anxious to find out if we will be parents. Originally I had decided not to post about it because I didn't want to get excited, and also didn't want to answer questions, in the event that the transfer didn't work. But, I can't keep anything to myself, so practically everyone knows about it anyway and I decided that this is much easier than answering the phone every five minutes! :) Thank you for all of the prayers and positive energy that is being sent our way. I have more than once been overwhelmed today by the wonderful support and well wishes that we have received.

So, yes, overall everything went well this afternoon. When Randy and I first arrived Dr. Preen told us that we had one embryo for sure that made it through the thawing process but he didn't about the other one making it. He explained that at this stage they should be hollow in the middle when they are thawed, but one had not expanded as well as the other. The one that did, however, looked just as good as the day it was frozen according to Dr. Preen. In the rating of the embryos, that one was Excellent or an A rating. The one that was lagging behind in the beginning ended up expanding and getting to the place it needed to be in time to make the transfer. That one was rated as Good, or B. I'm just so thrilled that we had these great results since 1 in 5 embryos don't make it through the thawing process at all. We were pretty nervous and very aware that we could very well get there and not have any embryos to transfer at all. As it happened, both were transferred in a very easy and quick process! I had to lay in an inverted position with my head down and hips up for twenty minutes, then flat on my back for another forty minutes. Then, they got me up, drew my blood for a baseline and sent me home. I'm on 24 hour bed rest per doctors orders. After 24 hours, I can resume normal activity. Randy is doing a really great job of taking care of me and waiting on me so I don't feel like I have to do anything.

My marketing team at VistaCare is bringing us dinner tonight. Christi made lasagna, Cheryl brought a salad and Molly is bringing us her wonderful brownies. I might start with dessert! I was told that my work had a prayer circle this morning to pray for Randy and I (and for our little babies!). I know that I am blessed to work with such a wonderful group of people!

I will have the blood test on Sept. 29th to find out if my hCG level is elevated. That is a pretty good indicator of whether or not we're pregnant, but two days later I will have another blood test and if the hCG levels have doubled then we know we are. I will keep you all posted on how it works out for us!

2 comments:

Jen said...

How exciting!...will be thinking about you and will put you on the prayer list at Bible study Monday night.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you, and Randy. I hope that you will be able to relax, and enjoy the journey that is taking place around you. We will be praying for evaluated HCG levels on the 29th of September! We love you guys, and miss you already!

Lisa Meacham